Natural Vapour Rub
As the cooler months roll in, so do the pesky cold and flu symptoms. Vapour Rub can help to relieve coughing or can be added to hot water and inhaled to help with a blocked nose and heavy breathing due to a cold. As you are breathing in and absorbing the ingredients of this product, it is good to know what the vapour rub is made up of. For this reason, it can be safer (and more cost efficient) to make your own!
At Eco Warehouse, we offer Weigh & Pay products to make your life easier and to reduce waste. We stock a lot of the products needed to make the below recipe, so why not check out our online shop or visit us in store?
Rest easy knowing you are relieving cold and flu, while also using only natural ingredients.
Homemade Natural Vapour Rub Kit
- 2.5 TB coconut oil, sweet almond oil or olive oil (50mL Amber Bottle) - Available at EW
- 1 TB cocoa butter - Available at EW
- 1 TB beeswax pellets - Available at EW
- 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil · Essential Oil Blend (5mL Amber Bottle)
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 3 drops tea tree essential oil
- Place a glass bowl on top of a saucepan partially filled with water over medium heat. Add the coconut oil and cocoa butter. Melt
- Once melted, add the beeswax. Melt.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the heat. Allow the mixture to sit in the saucepan for 5 minutes. This will allow the mixture to cool so the oils aren't damaged.
- After 5 minutes, add the eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, rosemary, and tea tree oil blend to the coconut oil mixture. Combine with a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar. This recipe will make one 60mL of vapour rub. As the mixture cools the liquid will solidify, making it a creamy, spreadable rub.
Homemade vapour rub will keep at room temperature for 12 months. The rub can be made firmer by adding extra beeswax, or softer by reducing the amount.